Monsoon

I suppose I should better describe the monsoon season for those of you who might not live somewhere that has monsoons. This year was a proper monsoon season, unlike any I've experienced lately. I've lived in Arizona about 3 decades, off and on. I keep trying to leave, and just keep coming back. Anyway, back to the monsoons. Everyday for 2 months I get notified that there's a flash flood in my area. One of two things will occur; no rain except for all around me on not at all, or the floodgates of hell will unleash its wrath from above. The sky suddenly becomes dark and the air becomes humid and thick. The air becomes heavy prior to the storm. Almost as if Earth's gravity has changed. It's recommended that all travel is limited. In my younger years, I'd be willing to drive when there's a flash flood warning. However, today I do my very best not to. I try to wait until the road is drier, if possible. This year roads became flooded in minutes. Rain fell from the sky instantly and good roads got bad quickly. This is the desert and as much as we need the rain it doesn't go anywhere when it falls. Empty drywashes are suddenly full and rushing. Roads washout and water in low spots becomes dangerous. Rain destroys things during this time of year, and has taken lives. I've had rain come into my car while parked in someone's yard. I've seen more than a few cars carried away by water rushing down the street.

Then there's the thunder and lightning. Sometimes you hear the crack of the thunder before the lightning hits the ground. It's the most horrifying and beautiful! The lightning lights up the sky like daylight and the thunder shakes the ground, and the school bus. My dogs don't really mind rain and they love snow, but they are usually inside when the electrical storms are raging. Even my big dogs become giant chickens. I don't blame them. They are scary and loud and bright.

Their are bonuses for this sometimes inhospitable weather. Firstly is free water for my plants. My flowers and trees love the rain and the cooler weather that accompanies it. My favorite is the amazing rainbows that follow the dark clouds. This year I got to see a lot of double rainbows with bold colors.

I've been here a while, so I can usually look at the sky and figure what's coming next. Especially if storms are approaching. I have a 360 degree view out here, and the weather seems to have a general idea of where to go. The wind can always decide to change direction, and then I'll be incorrect in my guess. I have been known to be wrong, but I'm usually right, when it comes to the weather here.

I live on an unmaintained dirt/sand/clay road. 4 wheel drive is an absolute necessity. The water sits on top and what seeps through creates something like quick sand. Getting home can be an adventure in driving sideways. The key is not to stop moving and to remain calm. It's a dance between you and the mud. No sudden movements, no hard acceleration or breaking, no sharp turns. All of my attention is on the road and my vehicle. Hopefully during this dance I have chosen music that I can sing to. This helps me stay calm and not panic. I avoid the puddles, because that is usually where the ground is mushiest. I have slowly, with practice, mastered the road to my home and the presert life.  Renegade Ceeeej 

The above picture is my road. I'm basically driving on the curb.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Long Time Ago

Charcot Marie Tooth CMT

Gratitude