Living Off Grid

Many years ago, my dear husband mentioned wanting to move off grid after our son was done with high school, following some travel around the United States, at least. I couldn't see myself living off grid and figured this was probably some delusional thought on his part. I am not an outdoor type of person. I don't hate the outdoors, but it's just not part of my personality. I don't hunt, fish, camp. I do love hiking and nature, but I'm barely qualified for the off grid life. I've had to learn on the fly, ask for advice and help, figure out things I had zero experience with, and googled a great many topics. I've learned that my brain works in a different way than what is required for this life. I've learned about wood burning stoves and wood. I've learned about propane, about solar, about snakes, about bugs, about things I never wanted to know about. I have  backup food, propane, wood, and water. I don't run out of anything. Always have extra. You never know when you will get stranded out here and it's a hike to get to civilization and the weather can become rapidly unpleasant. Water is the major challenge out here. A working vehicle is an absolute necessity. Out here I've learned to rely on myself. I can do almost anything now. I believe in my own problem solving skills. I am intelligent enough to figure out most things, but this life is not easy. It is hard work and it requires money that I don't have. I love it here. I have found peace and healing in this quiet place. This place that started as a tumultuous, stressful place, is now my home. My sanctum sanctorum. Find your own and hurry up and get there. I never expected to get out of the rat race. I'm so grateful I did. And I've learned a lot along the way. The largest lesson I've learned is that I am actually quite amazing and I am powerful. Ceeeej 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Long Time Ago

Charcot Marie Tooth CMT

Gratitude