Rattlesnake Games part 1

Around July 2021, the dogs and I had our first experience with a rattlesnake. It was late afternoon, around the same time as the 2nd adventure. I saw a small brown circular thing by the bus door. I was feeding the dogs. It was about the same size as the dog bowls. Suddenly I heard the rattle. Then the dogs saw it. I had 7 at this time. The boys were a few months old. Lucky was about 6 or 7 months old. I shooed them away and told them NO. I went to grab my gun. When I came back, he was under the front of the bus between the axles. He was mostly focused on the barking dogs. The dogs were going crazy. The boys were inside the bus. I shot at him but missed. There was a propane tank uncomfortably close so I was having issues hitting the snake and not the tank. He turned his focus on me when I shot at him. He was coiled up. About the size of a small dessert plate. He leapt at Lucky about 6 feet away. I couldn't tell if he had hit her or not. She jumped back right as he hit her, right between her eyes. He disappeared shortly after. Luna and Zoey were missing. (They didn't like the gun) Everyone else appeared to be safe, but then I noticed that Lucky was not to be found either. I found her under the bus, face beginning to swell. I had no idea what to do, and I was absolutely certain that she was going to die. I called a dear friend of mine who calmed me down and told me to give her antibiotics and benadryl. She said that I'd know in 3 days if she'd survive. Lucky didn't move for 3 days from behind my bed. I'd listen to her breathe. I  didn't really sleep for those 3 days. No dogs were allowed near her, not even the boys, per her instructions. She would drink a little and she would eat a little. I gave her peanut butter with the benadryl. After the 3 days, the swelling was gone mostly, she was outside, eating and drinking normally, playing with the boys. She slept a lot more for a while longer, but quickly everything was back to normal. Her 2 holes in her face have no fur still, but she doesn't seem to mind. She really is a lucky dog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Very Long Time Ago

Charcot Marie Tooth CMT

Gratitude